BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 4, 2010

Bible in 90- Day Two

Okay, with today's scriptures, I thought instead of looking at verses I would take a look at one of the characters.

Here's day two's scriptures- Genesis 17:1- Genesis 28:22

Now if you are familiar with these passages you may think that I would be looking at the character of Noah, Abraham, or even Lot, but the one I am going to focus on is actually pretty minor. I mean she didn't even get a name. She is just referred to Lot's wife, but I learned a lot from Lot's wife.

Let me set the scene for you a little bit. Abraham and Lot have parted ways and Lot was living near the city of Sodom. God had spoken to Abraham and told him of his intentions to destroy the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. Now Abraham knew his nephew Lot was living near Sodom, so he pleads with God if they can find just 10 people in the city who were not wicked would he spare the city. God agrees to this but we all know that there were not even 10 righteous people to found in the city. So, his angels were sent to destroy the city.

Now this is where Lot's wife comes in, Lot and his family are allowed to flee the city, they must leave quickly. Now, I am no biblical scholar, so this is just my opinion, but I figure there was no time to pack. Just this city is about to go down and you all better high tail it out of here or you are going to go down with it. The only instructions they were given is where to go Zoar and go there quickly, and do not look back! They had just almost reached the city of Zoar and poor Lot's wife just couldn't keep herself from turning around and looking back. Why did she do it, was she curious, she just had to see what was happening to the city. Maybe. I think though that for her she looked back on all the things she left behind. How often do I do that, look at things left behind, whether it be sin, people, things, the past. I take my eyes off the here and now, and look back at the past and everything left behind. This cost Lot's wife her life and could very well, cost me mine, not in a physical sense but in a spiritual one. At the very least this tendancy to dwell in the past can hinder my relationship with Jesus here in the future. They were just things Lot's wife left behind, I am sure it was things that took them years to aquire, but things none the less. How often do I let things get in the way for me? Whether it is trying to acquire them, wishing I had them, or getting them and being unsatisfied by them. She took her eyes off the one thing that could save her and it cost her life, Lord please help me not to make that same mistake! Let me keep my eyes on things of purpose, and not look back and wish for things of the past. I don't want to be a pillar of salt!

1 comments:

Tasha said...

What a great post! I need to refresh my memory about this story, but I hope that if God told me not to look back, I would listen to him. Looking back is always hard and the best advice I've ever heard is to "always move forward". It's true spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Just keep moving and things will work out. It's one of those "Never give up" sort of things I guess?